Friday, February 8, 2013

A Friday Finish: Valentine

My first Friday Finish of the New Year, just in time for Valentine's Day.

I quilted this on my home sewing machine.  I am in total awe of anyone who quilts anything bigger then a placemat on their home machine.

[caption id="attachment_1806" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Peanuts Valentine Peanuts Valentine[/caption]

First I had to clean off my cutting table (2 hours) Next lay out all the layers with no wrinkles (another 2 hours). Pin baste all the layers (are you kidding me) I don't have one of those stick thingies so I used the edge of my seam ripper (2 hours).  Then over to the machine I go, oh wait I have to totally clean off the sewing table to make room and..I'm suppose to get all this under that and not shift any of the layers, maybe I should have used more pins, no not going back to that.   I used was the wavy stitch on my machine with a walking foot. (another billion hours).

[caption id="attachment_1807" align="aligncenter" width="300"]pin baste pin baste[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1808" align="aligncenter" width="300"]At the machine At the machine[/caption]

 

Whew finely done!  Take it all out, shake it out and turn it around and WHAT!! the corner got folded up and quilted.  Oh my what to do.  Undo it and redo that line...I don't think so...my quit just got shorter.

[caption id="attachment_1809" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Oh Man!  Really! Oh Man! Really![/caption]

I'll be rethinking this quilting on my machine. I know with practice it gets easier, but I think I'll just plan my rental times on the long arm better.

[caption id="attachment_1810" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Finished Finished[/caption]

And that's the story of my biggest attempt at quilting on my home machine. I'm so glad it's Friday and I have a finish.

This pattern is from Mary Quilts it's a great pattern for large prints that you don't want to cut up.  Except of course the part I cut off the bottom.

I'm linking up with Confessions of a Fabric Addict and Crazy Mom Quilts go there to see more (less dramatic) finishes.

I love Friday evenings after dinner when I get to cruise through all the beautiful quilt finishes in blogland

5 comments:

  1. Pretty. I love Mary Quilts patterns. I also like to rent the long arm at my LQS. I would happily free motion stitch doodle all day if I had free access to a long arm. For smaller quilts, though, I quilt on my home machine so I can budget for the bigger ones ... a girl has got to do what a girl has got to do ... ;) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post made me smile... and so you feel better, everything that took you 2 hours usually takes me 2 days, LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has quilted the corner like that... I can't even count how many times that has happened! Your quilt is really pretty and I love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty Peanuts quilt. :) Man, I can totally relate to the turned-under corner! And it does take a bit of getting-used-to when quilting on a domestic machine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely quilt! And you aren't alone in doing that turned-under corner thing! By the way, you might try basting spray instead of pins - it really makes quilting on your domestic machine much easier!

    Whoop whoop!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your quilt turned out great! I feel your pain about machine quilting. I've been using the basting spray as Sarah mentioned above. Works better than all those safety pins. Everyone says practice makes perfect so I keep stitching away.

    ReplyDelete