Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The un-intended July NewFO

Really I wasn't going to start anything new this month.  I'm suppose to be finishing up UFO's this summer.

It all started when he who will remain nameless brought home a cold and shared with me.  When I was not feeling so great but feeling restless I headed up to the sewing room.  Just sort of wandering and I opened my 1.5 inch square drawer and sat down at the machine.

[caption id="attachment_2212" align="aligncenter" width="300"]1.5 in squares 1.5 in squares[/caption]

First I started with similar squares paired with white squares.

JulUFO 1

I wasn't really thrilled that look so I pulled out sets of five and started making darling little 9 patches.  Oh I'm so loving my little 9 patches that are going to finish at 3 inches.

[caption id="attachment_2209" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Sweet Little Nine Patches Sweet Little Nine Patches[/caption]

Now when I finish with a fabric or when I'm sorting scraps I cutting 1.5 inch sets of five.  I raided the pantry for the little paper plates and I keep the sets next to my machine and sew some as leader/enders and sometimes for 10 mins or so in the morning before I start my day.

[caption id="attachment_2211" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Paper Plate Sorting Paper Plate Sorting[/caption]

I have 23 of these little beauties so far and I don't know how many I'll make but I'll just keep making them for a while and see what I end up with.

[caption id="attachment_2210" align="aligncenter" width="300"]My Stack of 9 patches My Stack of 9 patches[/caption]

This could become a long term UFO.

I'm linking up with Barbara at Cat Patches with my July NewFo.

6 comments:

  1. Your little blocks are cute! I don't usually do leaders and enders because I don't take the time to organize a project but this is perfect! I may copy your lead...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I for one, am glad you started something new and linked up today. Gotta love the good old nine patch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love tiny projects and you can't beat a 9-patch block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine patches that small can be centers in bigger blocks. They make great Leader enders too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just adore 9-patches. I used 9-patches for the very first quilt I made. I have a little tupperware bowl of 1.5" squares sitting on my sewing machine that I use for leader/enders. I have no idea what I'm going to do with them, but it will come to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cut 9-patches, but oh so little. It's amazing how much you can get done when you make a project using leaders and enders. Have fun. Hope you are feeling much better.

    ReplyDelete