Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Does Your Mind Wander When You Iron?

This week I've been working on a t-shirt quilt.  Anyone who has made a t-shirt quilt will probably agree that the most tedious part is ironing the interfacing on to the t-shirts.  When I first started making t-shirt quilts and I was ironing the interfacing I would hold the iron in place and count to 10, now don't laugh but I would often lose count.

I have to confess that it doesn't take much for my mind to wander off in any new direction and standing there holding the iron and counting I would look around and anything that caught my eye there went my mind too.  If I saw a fabric, I was thinking about what quilt I could make with it. A pattern and I was thinking what fabric do I have and what would I need to get to make this pattern.  Then there was ironing with my left hand and making the grocery list with my right..talk about losing count.  Lucky for me I always use a pressing cloth (old sheet) so there were no burnt t-shirts while  my mind wandered around the sewing room.

[caption id="attachment_2170" align="aligncenter" width="300"]Ironing interfacing Ironing interfacing[/caption]

Now I only count to five and go around the shirt twice and make sure it's all fused.  My mind still wanders but I'm staying on task better.  HA!

WIP Jul17 2

The center of the quilt is an old  baby blanket.  I used steam a seam and fused it to muslin and added the blue border and fused it too so I'd have something to sew the rest of the quilt on to.  This was a very very well love blanket.  I'm taking it to my longarm quilter this week because of the blanket in the middle it's going to need custom quilting.

To see more works in progress head over to Freshly Pieced

No comments:

Post a Comment